Today, packaging is not just for displaying, describing, advertising for a product or simply for preserving or storing products, it also plays an important role as a marketing tool for the product, the image of the statue. Identify the product and play an important role in determining the purchase of potential customers
For export goods, the transport function, preservation of packaging is very important. Especially if the goods have to go a long way to reach the consumer in the target market. Therefore, exporters should note the following features of packaging during shipment, storage:
- Suitable for transportation (ship, airplane, truck, bulk cargo, container cargo ...)
- Available in sizes suitable for storage, on pallets or in containers
- Toughness, toughness to withstand impact, drag, push during storage, loading, sea and air transport as well as road transport.
- Compatible with climate change, weather in different continents
- Ensure that the product is protected by the packaging so that it does not change odor, moisture or damage the product
- Demonstrate the requirements to be noted during loading, unloading, loading ... on the package
Exporters need to check the packaging before packaging. On a case-by-case basis, the exporter can check the following features:
* Mechanical strength
* Resistance to steam
* Durability with water
* Prevent oxygen
* Heat resistance
* Smells good
* Light tolerance
* Safe for children and the elderly
In particular, exporters should be aware of the regulatory requirements (requirements) and buyer requirements (based on actual demand in the target market) related to packaging. These requirements are generally general requirements for packaging or for specific products or industries. It is also important that businesses tend to use the same type of packaging that is being sold on the domestic market for export. Without careful consideration, this can lead to serious consequences such as: Customer refuses to deliver, fails to pay / deferred because the customer or government of the importing country forces exporters to correct errors. Cause, fine, more important than this has worsened the image for the customer
In developed countries like Europe, United States, Japan, etc., packaging requirements are constantly updated and changed, so exporters feel elusive information.
Normally, there are provisions related to packaging as follows:
- General provisions on target market packaging, including rules of the common market and specific countries
- Specify the packaging for each industry, product type (food, pharmaceuticals, chemicals, etc.).
- Regulation on raw materials for the production of export packages: What is the package made of? Paper, plastic, metal, wood? Are there specific rules for each packaging material? Is this material acceptable in the target market? Are there any materials that are restricted? For example: PVC, plastic, etc.
- Image, color, style, weight of the package: correct picture with the product included in the package? Does the image counter the belief or culture of a certain segment of the consumer in the target market? etc.
- Regulations related to marking and branding on products such as language used, product name, item weight, ingredient / nutrition, source, etc.
- Environmental regulations in the target market
- Regulations related to the traceability of the shipment in the event of an incident
- V.v ...
In developing countries, finding information like this is very limited. If exporters in developing countries produce only raw materials, packed in jute bags, PP bags of 25 kg or 50 kg, packaging requirements are relatively easy. However, when referring to legal regulations concerning cotton, jute or wooden packaging, exporters often get confused because they do not know the rules. While customers can be a very important source of information for exporters to understand the rules of the target market, information dependence often results in exporters seeing the disadvantage of their counterparts. Therefore, before exporting goods, one of the priority issues that exporters should note is to understand the rules of the industry, the products they need to export.